Cristobal Junior and Senior High School was located on the Atlantic side of the Panama Isthmus. The school was housed in a three-story air-conditioned concrete building and served students in grades seven through twelve.
The school was opened as an elementary and high school in 1907 with five students in the grades nine and ten. Students attended only a morning session in grades 9 and 10. The first curriculum included: Algebra, Geometry, Latin, Spanish, Rhetoric, Botany, Biology, Physical Geography, and General History.
At the beginning of the next year (1908-09) there were nine high school students in grades 9 and 10. A high school teacher was added to the elementary staff who taught high school classes only. German was added to the curriculum.
All high school students attended Cristobal High School in the fall of 1909 though some students had attended Gatun and Culebra High Schools previously. Cristobal High School had 51 high school students and offered four years of instruction. With the additional enrollment the school was able to add a library to their campus.
Extracurricular activities were required for all students. Each student belonged to one of the two literary societies and were expected to participate in the athletic program. In 1918, “The Caribbean” became the high school’s first publication. Male students played basketball and baseball while the female students played basketball and did calisthenics.
The area surrounding Cristobal Junior and Senior High School was reverted to Panama at the end of 1989-1990 school year which isolated the school from the community it served. The school was moved to Fort Davis to the site of the existing elementary school.
In 1989, 20% of the 210 students were tuition paying students. 10% of the tuition students were of Arab origin whose parents had a connection with the Colon Free Zone.
The graduating class of 1990 included the last students who were integrated into the DoDDS schools from the Latin American System in Panama.
Under DoDDS several changes were made to the school which included a new roof, elevators, resurfaced tennis courts with lighting and a new concrete stadium with restroom facilities. The Atlantic Community library was replaced by a school library and computers became part of the school.
Sources: Yearbooks in AOSHS archives
Schooling in the Panama Canal Zone 1904-1976, DoDDS Panama 1979-1989