Fort Gulick Elementary School was located approximately five miles from the cities of Colon and Cristobal. The single-story concrete building was of modern construction and air-conditioned. Until 1982 a single principal administered Fort Davis and Fort Gulick schools.
From 1979 to 1990 the school population had a high of 300 students in 1983 to a low of only 126 students in 1990. In the 1980’s the school initiated a new program, the BUG (Bringing Up Grades) Club. The objective of the club was to maintain grades from the previous marking period while working to raise grades. Another initiative was PRIDE (Positive, Responsible, Independent, Dependable, Enthusiastic) notes to reinforce good citizenship.
Source: Schooling in the Panama Canal Zone 1904-1976, DoDDS Panama 1979-1989