On September 5, 1956, Upper Heyford Junior High School, along with six other junior high schools in the United Kingdom, was opened for the first time. The school was opened in four barracks, each heated with two kerosene stoves and the community was told that this would be the school’s home for the next nine months. With the assistance of the community, the principal and teachers improved the small buildings with needed equipment.
Later, the Upper Heyford Middle School was located in the same plant as the high school. The school was fully departmentalized and had specialists in industrial arts, home economics, business education and band. There was a spacious library, a cafeteria and a gymnasium. The school nurse was shared with the elementary school although there was a full-time counselor. In 1981-82 there were 360 students in grades six through eight.
The school yearbook was often part of the high school yearbook—the Trident—but was sometimes published separately as the Striver. The junior high newspaper was called Hot Stuff.
Information from school yearbooks and the DoDDS School Information Guides