Greenham Common ES (formerly Welford ES) History

Opened: 1955
Closed: 1988

Greenham Common Elementary School, formerly known as Welford Elementary School, was located near the town of Newbury, London approximately a 1 ½ hours driving time from London.

The school complex consisted of eight individual buildings which were converted to classrooms. Included in some of the buildings was an audio-visual room, a library, faculty lounge, activity room and supply storage rooms. The outside grounds of the school were very large.

Students were bussed daily to the school from the various American housing areas and selected pickup points on the economy. High school students were bused to London Central High School where they lived in dorms on a five-day basis until a new school was built in 1988.

Administrators for the school included Dr. Jeffrey Bordofsky, Dr. Gangsei, Mr. Kimbell Spence, Mr. K. Poverud and Esther Cook.

The school had an active extracurricular program that included a student government, a variety of clubs and sports teams for cross country, volleyball and basketball.

For the 1981-82 school year, the school had 110 students in kindergarten through eighth grade. All classes were self-contained with teachers teaching two grades simultaneously. A librarian, host nation teacher, learning disabilities teacher, compensatory education aide, kindergarten aide, counselor and psychologist augmented the regular teaching staff. By the 1987-88 school year there were 305 students in grades kindergarten through six.

The Greenham Common schools were combined into a unit school in a new facility for the 1988-89 school year. The elementary school maintained an enrollment of just over 300 until the unit school closed in 1991.


Information from school yearbooks and the DoDDS School Information Guide

Share This: