Alconbury MS (formerly Molesworth JHS) History

Opened: 1974
Closed: 1982

Originally, Alconbury Elementary and Middle High Schools did not exist. In 1951, the RAF Molesworth School was opened, and it enrolled students in grades 1–9. Between the time it opened and the time schools closed on RAF Molesworth, there was Alconbury Elementary, Molesworth Junior High School, and Lakenheath High School. All schools on RAF Molesworth closed in 1974, and the schools were relocated to RAF Alconbury, where they still are today. Students that are stationed at RAF Lakenheath and RAF Mildenhall attend Lakenheath High School, while students whose families are stationed at RAF Alconbury, RAF Molesworth, and other stations nearby, attend the Alconbury Schools Community.

The school administrators for the last years were George Boehm and Darryl Mackey who were assigned to the high school when the middle school closed.

In 1979 Alconbury Middle School had approximately 260 students in grades seven through ten. There was a staff of twenty-five. The last year of the school there were just over two hundred students enrolled in grades 7–10 with a staff of twenty-four.

Besides a full academic program, the middle school had a sports program that included three levels of basketball for boys as well as gymnastics, volleyball and basketball for girls. School clubs and activities included Honor Society, Yearbook, Photography Club, Band and Student Council. Since the school was located in England, students had the opportunity to participate in the Duke of Edinburgh Award Scheme.

The enrollment and staffing remained about the same until the new high school was built in 1981. When the high school opened for the 1982–83 school year the middle school was closed.


Information from school website, yearbooks and DoDDS School Information Guides

Share This: