W├╝rzburg HS (formerly JHS/HS) History

Opened: 1954
Closed: 2008

School Colors: Purple and White
School Mascot: Wolves

Würzburg American High School, Würzburg, Germany opened its doors on September 8, 1954, inside the gate of Leighton Barracks in the old Headquarters Building. They shared the building with members of the Signal Corps. Prior to this year, students in grades 9–12 went to high school in Nürnberg (Erlangen) where they stayed in dormitories. The following year the new building, already under construction, was scheduled to open. There were eighty-five students enrolled and a faculty of thirteen. The school moved into its new building for the 1955-56 school year. Within a brief period, the enrollment exceeded the capacity of the school, and classrooms at the elementary school had to be used.

Although small, the students embraced their roles early in the school year. The Senior Class was well represented on school clubs and student activities. The Junior Class with its nineteen students sponsored and wrote the school newspaper, sponsored a basketball game between the teachers and students, and sponsored the Junior-Senior Prom. The Sophomore Class with its twenty-one students sponsored the Christmas Formal. The Freshmen Class was the largest class at the school.

School Clubs established during the initial school year:

  • Yearbook Club
  • G.A.A.
  • Student Council
  • Lettermen’s Club
  • Newspaper Staff
  • Library Club
  • Camera Club
  • Chess Club
  • Bowling Club

Additional clubs were added in later years. In 1964 the staff of the Ambassador, the school newspaper, compiled a ten-year history of the school as a fundraiser.

By 1963 the school enrollment had increased to 536 students, many of whom traveled from outlying cities such as Bad Kissingen, Kissingen, Wertheim, and Schweinfurt, a two-hour bus ride. In 1970, due primarily to the opening of the north autobahn, students from Wildflecken began to attend the school. Previously they were dorm students in Frankfurt.

School Milestones:

  • September 8, 1954 – First day of Würzburg High School
  • 1955 – New building constructed
  • 1967–1968 – The football team was Silver Division Champions
  • 1969–1970 – Cross Country Team won the Class B Championship.
  • 1975–1976 – New addition added to school
  • 1961 – First yearbook published
  • 1987 – New annex completed
  • 1989–1990 – New administrative wing built

August 1990 Students in grades 5–8 were relocated to the middle school, making the school a true high school with grades 9–12.

Notable Alumni:

  • Anthony Brown – National Football League football player
  • Mike Brown – National Basketball League coach

Würzburg High School closed its doors on June 6, 2008.

Share This: