Ulm ES History

Opened: 1951
Closed: 1991

Ulm American Elementary School was opened in 1954. The school was across from the city of Neu Ulm, Germany, situated in the German state of Bavaria. The elementary school was at Vorfeld Housing area. The facility was completed in 1951, and included fifteen classrooms, an auditorium, teachers’ lounge, library, specialist rooms, administrative offices, and a teachers’ workroom. Other classrooms were added in 1974 and 1986. After the additions, the school had two gymnasiums, two libraries, and a cafeteria. After 1981, the elementary and high school were in one facility. For the 1987-88 school year, there were also Quonsets being used for instruction, but they were being replaced by new construction. The final renovation of the school building was completed in 1989.

Lucy Johnson was the principal for the 1954-55 school year when the school was Ulm Dependent School, and there were 536 students in grades kindergarten through nine.

Only students who lived within walking distance attended Ulm Elementary School.

In 1981-82 there were fourteen teachers for the 416 students in grades kindergarten through six. The staff included a reading improvement specialist, speech therapist, a learning development teacher, librarian, counselor, host nation teacher, and specialists for physical education, music, and art.

The Ulm schools were closed in 1991.


Information from DoDDS School Information guides and internet resources

Share This: