Regensburg ES History

Opened: 1946
Closed: 1995

Regensburg American Elementary School was one of the original elementary schools opened in Germany in 1946. The school was part of the Erlangen District that included fourteen schools with an enrollment of 115 students. In 1954 the principal was Mr. James Finley and the enrollment in grades one through eight had increased to 179 students. By the 1980s the student enrollment was about forty students in K-8. The staff normally consisted of two to three teachers and a teaching principal. Classes were combined as follows: kindergarten and grade one, grades two through four and grades five through eight. In the nineties the school enrollment increased to about 100 students in grades K-8. Military support was then received from the Hohenfels community.

The school building was located in a former German Army barracks that was converted to accommodate four classrooms, a library, an administrative office, and a small faculty lounge. The facility was on an American post, Raffler Kaserne. The school was renovated during the 1992-93 school year. There were now three floors with a total of nine regular classrooms. In addition, there were rooms for art, music, host nation, science, a lunchroom, and a media center. Physical education was taught in the Army gymnasium. One wing of the school housed a small commissary and shoppette for the U.S. personnel in the Regensburg area.

The school was closed in 1995.


Information from DOD School Information Guides

Share This: