Illesheim ES History

Opened: 1957
Closed: 2015

Illesheim American Elementary School served the military stationed in Illesheim, a small hamlet located in the valley of the Aisch River. The town is approximately thirty-five miles south of Nuremberg and thirty-five miles east of Wuerzburg. The school was in the housing area of Storck Barracks.

The building being used as of the 1981-82 school year was built in 1965. The school had sixteen classrooms, a teachers’ lounge and workroom, a learning resource center, an audio-visual room, music room, science lab, multi-purpose room, and a gymnasium. There was a large, well-equipped playground.

For the 1981-82 school year, there were 420 students in grades kindergarten through eight. In addition to the classroom teachers there was a reading improvement specialist, a learning development specialist. Part-time physical education and music teachers served the school. The services of a speech therapist, social worker, and school psychologist were shared with neighboring schools. Most classes were self-contained except for seventh and eighth grades which were mini-departmentalized.

By the 1987-88 school year, the school had been recently renovated. The enrollment had increased to 480 students in kindergarten through eighth grade.

There were 445 students enrolled in the school for the 1993-94 school year. The enrollment was only 415 students for the 1994-95 school year.

In 2015, after more than fifty years, Illesheim Elementary School closed its doors. The closure was a result of the Aviation Restructuring Initiative.

Illesheim held its closing ceremony and final award ceremony June 4, 2015. The school had helped to educate more than 12,000 students. The last principal was Audrey Griffin.

Share This: