On 14 October 1946, Thomas A. Roberts School (T.A.R.) opened in a confiscated German girl’s high school building (the Gertraudenschule) at Im Gehege 6-8 in the OMGUS American Sector in southwestern Berlin. It was named after Colonel Thomas Arnett Roberts, a West Point graduate of 1920 who was killed in action on 4 August 1944 in Lessey, France while commanding the artillery of the 2nd Armored Division in the landings of the Battle of Normandy.
The high school opened on 7 September 1948, with eighteen students. On 9 September 1953 the school opened in a new building at Am Hüttenweg 40 north of Truman Plaza. In 1958, a new wing of the school was opened to house the seventh and eighth grades, a home economics room, and a shop. In 1965 the high school moved into a new building at Am Hegewinkel 2a and was renamed Berlin American High School (BAHS), leaving the elementary at Am Hüttenweg 40.
BAHS closed 1 June 1994 with the exit of American Allied Forces from Berlin.
Based on material from the Berlin Brats Alumni Association and the State Monument Office of Berlin.
For a timeline of the school and regional and world events with ancillary material, see Berlin Brats History on berlinbrats.org.