Amberg ES History

Opened: 1946
Closed: 2008

Amberg American Elementary School was located on Pond Barracks near the heart of the old city of Amberg. The school was housed in a former German Army Cavalry building along with three attached prefabricated classrooms. There was also a library, office area, teachers’ lounge and several small storage rooms. Amberg was one of the first elementary schools opened in Germany.

There isn’t much information available about the early years of the school. For the 1953-54 school year Mr. Joe Russo was the principal and there were sixty-three students enrolled. For school year 1981-82 there 135 students grades kindergarten to six and six teachers. Support services were provided a learning development specialist, social worker, host nation teacher and learning resource specialist. Additional special services were provided by the Nuernberg Educational Service Center.

By the 1987-88 school year, the school was in a new, multi-room, multi-purpose, red brick building with a large play area and sports complex. Construction of the new school was begun in 1985. The enrollment had increased to 235 students in grades K-6. Itinerant teachers provided instruction in art, music and physical education. For the 1994-95 school year the number of students had dropped to 163 students.

The school closed in 2008.

 

Information from DOD School Information Guides

Share This: