George Washington School at Chia Yi came into existence in September, 1955. Judy Stott taught grades one through eight in the white frame structure on a hill near the city of Chia Yi. The building served as a school during its 13 years of existence. As enrollment dictated, it operated with one to three teachers. School population varied from 23 to 53. High school students were transported by six-passenger trucks to Wainwright High School in Tainan. In 1964, Betty Hall became teacher-principal. In 1965, Evelyn Biewener assumed this role. She closed the school in 1968, and the building was turned over to the American Embassy.
Based on information from DoDDS-Pacific Region 1946-1986