Tainan American ES History

Opened: 1955
Closed: 1956

A high school for supervised correspondence courses was in operation in Taiwan as early as 1949. No details about this school are available. In 1953, the Tainan MAAG (Military Assistance Advisory Group) school was located at different sites around the city in rented buildings, missionary compounds, and in government facilities. It changed location almost monthly. Transportation to and from school was provided by a ¾ ton truck. The Calvert system was taught by parents during the first months.

In 1954 Mr. and Mrs. B.F. Hartzell were the first teachers hired by the Navy. They taught 35 students in grades one through nine in classrooms located in the old Shamrock Hostel. The school was designated Tainan American Elementary School in 1955-56. As the enrollment grew, a third teacher was added to the faculty. This first year, the first school building and playground were constructed through the efforts of the PTA and school board.

In 1958 Ozella Littleton was principal from September to February. H. L. Brown, who taught grades seven and eight and supervised the correspondence high school, continued the school year as principal-teacher. The same year, L.W. Clark became the first superintendent of Taiwan schools.

During 1957 and 1958, the second and third wings of the school were built, completing the U-shaped plant. Mr. K.T. Hancer came as the superintendent. The school was renamed the Jonathan W. Wainwright School after the Congressional Medal of Honor winner and general.

Based on information from DoDDS-Pacific Region 1946-1986

Share This: