Wurtsmith Memorial School History

Opened: 1954
Closed: 1957

This school was previously Clark Dependent School until 1954 when Clark School was renamed Wurtsmith Memorial School in memory of General Paul B. Wurtsmith, fourth commanding general of the 13th Air Force during World War II. The enrollment grew to about 800 students including nursery and kindergarten. The faculty consisted of 30 teachers. The school nurse was a lieutenant from the Base Hospital. The school had two football teams, the City Slickers and the Plowboys according to the 1952-53 yearbook, the Fledging. The newspaper was the Falcon Crier. In 1956-57, forty-four teachers instructed the students. Class size for the elementary classes was 30-42 students. In the 1957-58 school year, grades 7-12 were transferred to individual wooden buildings and Quonsets at the former Chapel Center.

Information from DoDDS-Pacific Region 1946-1986

Share This: