In July 1956, sixty-one students and five teachers made up the first junior-senior high school organized under the principal, George C. Wright. The enrollment of 629 students during the school year, 1957-58, resulted in the hiring of 32 teachers and Robert Peck as a secondary principal.
A new school building was formally opened March 1958. In order to meet accreditation by the North Central Association, additional teachers had to be added for home economics, shop, physical education art and music.
During school year 1959, “Quill and Scroll”, the honorary journalism fraternity, became the first national student organization to be represented at George Dewey. The Jungle Telegraph, the school newspaper, was published for the second year and became a regular part of the journalism curriculum.
With an enrollment of 340, the school was first accredited by North Central Association in 1960-61. All Subic schools changed from Navy to Air Force supervision in 1967.
A school cafeteria was built in 1974. In 1977-78, the science building and Byare Gymnasium were completed. There was a faculty of 27 teachers, a nurse, a counselor, a media specialist and a shared psychologist. During 1986, a new cafeteria, music room, four additional classrooms, and covered walkways were added.
In the 80’s co-ed physical education was added and more computers were available to the staff and students.
The school closed in 1992.
Information from DoDDS-Pacific Region 1946-1986