Matthew C. Perry School History

Opened: 1952
Closed: 1987

The original name of the school was the American Dependents School. In 1964 there were four teachers in the high school at Matthew C. Perry School. Ben Clift, a teacher, reported that he “taught typing in a shack by the railroad track.” Parents mentioned that when they arrived in 1960, they expected a high school of 235-250 students. Instead, they found that that figure was the enrollment for grades one through 12. High school students only had correspondence courses. However, with some quick staff evaluation and supplementation, with part-time hires and emergency textbook orders, high school classes were organized. Returning students were delighted, particularly, since 95% of the previous year’s correspondence courses were not completed.

Share This: