Johnson Elementary School was originally one school and additional buildings were added as the enrollment increased. The first school was just called Johnson Dependent school and then became Hilltop School. In 1956 Yukai School was added and had student in grades one through eight. Tyre Park was added in 1957 for grades five through eight. By 1960, between the three school buildings which were all supervised by the same principal, the grades were divided between the three buildings. Hilltop had nursey school through grade one, Yukai had grades two through four and Tyre Park had grades five through eight. When the new junior high school was built, the upper grades moved to that school.