A school board was formed for Tachikawa ES in 1946. There was one teacher for various aged children although there weren’t many children. A military policeman kept an eye on the children on the bus ride to and from school. A sergeant in the Air Force was assigned as the first administrator. Four principals were assigned to the school from its opening to the closure. Mr. Ormie Hoover was principal for fifteen years. From an enrollment of forty-four students the first year, the school reached an enrollment of over two thousand students by 1961. In 1968 kindergarten was added to the school. By school year 1972-73 the school population had dropped to six hundred seventy students. It’s last year only three hundred forty students were enrolled. In 1973, Tachikawa Middle School closed and the seventh and eighth graders then attended the elementary school. Tachikawa Elementary School closed August 1977.
Source: Japan District DOD Dependent Schools History 1946-2009