The overseas education of more than four million American children and youth since World War II is an unwritten chapter in the history of American education and represents the schooling of several generations under circumstances unique to human history.
Today the U. S. Departments of Defense and State operate or assist more than 300 schools in over 100 foreign countries. Additionally there are more than 600 private American owned or supported schools abroad.
AOSHS Mission Statement
The American Overseas Schools Historical Society
is a non-profit organization that
collects, records, preserves, and exhibits
historical memorabilia of the American Overseas Schools.
Members promote global knowledge and understanding
of this unique endeavor, as well as providing the opportunity
to research a significant chapter in the history of American education.
8 September 2016 Board approval
- Collect, maintain and preserve American Overseas Schools’ memorabilia and historical documents while providing research opportunities
- Establish multiple exhibiting locations
- Market the AOSHS brand
- Grow paying membership thru increased communication and accountability
- Pursue partnerships with local communities, general membership and similar organizations that focus on strengthening the awareness and knowledge of AOSHS
- Increase fundraising and grants for maintenance and growth of the Society
8 September 2016 11:25 am approved